Office of the registrar
The Office of the Registrar is responsible for maintaining and storing of official student records. In addition, the Office of the Registrar manages student registration, course schedules, grades, catalog, academic calendars, transcripts, diplomas, student professional & licensing documentation, name changes, and enrollment/degree verifications.
University catalog & student handbook
The university’s Student Catalog and Handbook is the official source of university information regarding academic policies and procedures, admissions policies and procedures, student services, tuition and fees, financial aid information, programs information and course descriptions, academic calendars, faculty information and more.
Enrollment and Degree Verification Requests
- If you need verification of your enrollment or completion of degree, please complete, sign, and submit the Enrollment/Degree Verification Request form. If you have a document from an external agency to be completed, please include the document with your request form and submit to the Office of the Registrar by mail, email, fax, or in person. Requests are processed within 3-5 business days.
- If you are a Third-Party requesting verification of an enrollment for a CHSU student or degree completion for an Alumni, please Fax your request to: Office of the Registrar, 559-473-1487.
- Students and Alumni can request an official transcript through the Student Portal by logging on and clicking on the Requests button located at the top of your BIO page.
- In the Comments box, enter the mailing address where you want the transcript mailed. (Due to privacy laws, transcripts cannot be emailed).
- If you prefer to pick-up the transcript, please enter “Pick-up” in the Comments box. (Photo identification is required for all pick-up orders).
- Please allow 3 to 5 business days for processing your transcript request.
- If you need an unofficial transcript, select the Transcript button, located at the top of your BIO page in your student portal.
- Current and former Students and Alumni can also request an official transcript by submitting a Transcript Request Form to the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com.
- If you need a document sent with your transcript, please upload the document as a PDF and submit it with your transcript request.
The Office of the Registrar at CHSU safeguards the privacy and security of your student records information in compliance under FERPA. If you wish to authorize a third party (such as a parent, spouse, sponsor, etc.) to have general access to your academic information, you may grant authorization by completing the FERPA Authorization to Release Non-Directory Records. Return completed signed form to the Office of the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student SELF Service
|Change of Address||University||Use to update local, mailing, or permanent address, phone numbers, personal email address. Local address only, can be done through the SONIS student portal.|
|Course Grade Appeal (COM)||College of Osteopathic Medicine||Request must be submitted within 10 days of grade posting.|
|Course Grade Appeal (COP)||College of Pharmacy||Request must be submitted within 10 days of grade posting.|
|FERPA Authorization to Release Non-Directory Records||University||Use this form to authorize an ONGOING release (for parents, etc.) that will be kept on file.|
|FERPA Consent to Release Student Information||University||Use this form to authorize a ONE TIME release (for employers, banks, etc.)|
|FERPA Opt-Out Directory Information||University||Use this form to opt-out from the release of directory information.|
|Legal Name Change||University||Use this form for Legal Name Changes|
|Leave of Absence Request||University||Use this form to request a temporary Leave of Absence.|
|Transcript Release to CA State Board of Pharmacy (COP)||College of Pharmacy|
|Transcript Release to Out-of-State Board of Pharmacy (COP)||College of Pharmacy|
|Transcript Request||University||Use this to request official transcripts. Unofficial transcripts can be obtained on the SONIS student portal.|
|University Withdrawal||University||Use this to completely withdraw from the University.|
Update Your Personal Information
Students can update their personal and emergency contact information via the student portal
- Log into your student portal: https://sonis.chsu.edu
- Click on the top labeled “Update Preferred Address” or “Emergency Contact”
- Enter your updated information
- Click the Submit button at the bottom of the page to submit changes.
Students must complete the Graduation Petition Form (which will also be available in the student portal prior to graduation), specifying how they would like their name to appear on the diploma as well as ceremony & slideshow information.
The diploma form will reflect your legal name as it appears on all official CHSU student records. Any changes must be approved by the Registrar’s Office. You can include or not include your middle name.
If your name is incorrect or has changed, you must submit a Legal Name Change Request Form with supporting documentation prior to graduation. After graduation, no name changes will be made to your academic record.
Official transcripts can be requested by completing and submitting an Official Transcript Request Form.
For the Commencement ceremony, students are required to rent regalia (CHSU covers the cost). Students will need to contact the CHSU Marketing Department for details on ordering the regalia for the ceremony.
Family Educational Right and Privacy Act (FERPA)
The Office of the Registrar is responsible for the accuracy and integrity of the University’s official student records and safeguards the privacy and security of those records in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). FERPA is a federal law that pertains to the release of and access to student educational records.
FERPA provides students the following rights:
- The right to inspect and review educational records within 45 days of the day the Office of the Registrar receives a written request for access. The student should submit to the Registrar a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.
- The right to request the amendment of the educational records if the student believes them to be inaccurate. The student may ask the University to amend a record that the student believes is inaccurate. The student should write to the Registrar, clearly identify the part of the record that is inaccurate and specify why the record is inaccurate. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the Registrar (or an appropriate official, if the record is maintained by another office), will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when the student is notified of the right to a hearing.
- The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s educational record, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests.
- The right to file a complaint with the Department of Education concerning alleged failures by CHSU to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The student may contact:
Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5920
What is an education record?
- Any record which contains information that is personally identifiable to a student and is maintained by the university or by a party or organization acting on behalf of the school.
- This may include written and printed documents, electronic media, film, CDs, video or audio tapes.
- Transcripts or other records obtained from a school in which a student was previously enrolled.
What information is not considered part of an education record?
- Sole possession records or private notes of individual faculty or staff that are not accessible or released to other personnel
- Law enforcement or campus security records
- Medical records
- Alumni records
- Application materials, confidential letters of recommendation received by the University
- Some items of academic record under certain conditions
- Other records pursuant to the policies and procedures of the Registrar.
What is directory information?
- Directory information is information contained in an education record of a student which would not generally be considered harmful or invasion of privacy if disclosed.
- The following items are designated as directory information at CHSU:
- Student’s Name
- CHSU E-mail Address
- Telephone Number
- Field of Study
- Classification (Class of/Graduate)
- Enrollment Status
- Dates of Attendance
- Club and/or Organization Memberships
- Degrees, Honors, and Awards
- Most Recent Institution Attended
Non-Disclosure of Directory Information – Opt Out of Directory Information
A student may request non-disclosure of “Directory Information” to the general public. The student must submit a Request to Opt Out of Directory Information form to the Office of the Registrar indicating what directory information not to be disclosed. This form remains in effect on the student’s record until written notification has been received from the student to update the previous request to opt out of directory information.
More information on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is located through the U.S. Department of Education website at: https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa.
CHSU students have access to the SONIS Portal to access their official CHSU Student Records and the Brightspace Learning Portal for access to their coursework modules.
The SONIS Student and Alumni Portal is your access to your official CHSU student records. From the portal, you can access your biographical information, emergency contacts, class schedule, unofficial transcripts, degree progress reports, billing statements, account payments, etc.
To set up your SONIS portal, please use the following steps:
Use the pull-down Login menu in the upper right corner to select Student or Alumni as shown below:
Click the Login with Microsoft options using your CHSU email account & password. Do NOT use your ID and PIN on first login.
Set your four-digit PIN on your first log-in. You may be asked to provide your PIN to CHSU faculty or staff to verify your identity.
CHSU uses the Brightspace portal to provide course materials and other educational materials.